Sunday, June 14, 2015

Autism and Plexus?!

First let me start by saying *Plexus products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.* I'm not claiming that Plexus has cured Ronnie, but it HAS helped him in SO many ways. I am NOT an Ambassador, just a happy customer! Prepare for a long post, but it's amazing seeing and now sharing with all of you how much Plexus has helped him!

I will say that I personally have seen great benefits from using Plexus products and you can read more about that here. But today, this post is all about my son, Ronnie. He's 6 years old and has Autism.

This is a typical reaction when we say "Ronnie smile" and I love it!
Ronnie has dealt with constipation pretty much his entire 6 years of life. And if your child has ever dealt with chronic constipation you'll understand when I say, it has been so heartbreaking to watch. When Ronnie was diagnosed with Autism (around the age of 3) the psychologist recommended we do a dairy free diet, at that time he was taking in large amounts of dairy. Yogurt, it was one of the few things we could get him to eat. She talked with us about how removing dairy may help improve his constipation and that "might" help improve :some: behavioral issues. So we tried. It helped some, but not enough.

We spoke with his pediatrician because despite going completely dairy free (wow, what a challenge that was) he was still having pretty severe constipation. She prescribed him Miralax and told us to give him some every day. We did this for quite some time and guess what? Still no relief. After researching, I found out that Miralax A) Shouldn't be taken daily and B) Can cause chronic constipation. Yes, you read that right, extended use of Miralax can cause chronic constipation, the one thing I was trying to help my child with.

So a friend recommended trying a probiotic. I found some chewables that luckily he could tolerate and after doing some more research I added Aloe Vera to his juice. And eventually we went gluten free. While doing all this helped improve his constipation problems a lot, he was still having problems (just not as severe). We kept with this routine for quite some time (years) until he could no longer tolerate the chewable probiotics. So I moved on to a liquid probiotic that I could just add hide in his juice.

*CUE PLEXUS*

I started taking Plexus products and LOVED THEM (read more about it here). My husband and I had to take Ronnie to the doctor because he was peeing so frequently we thought maybe a bladder infection!? Nope. It was from constipation. So I showed her my Probio5 and she gave us the green light and things have been amazing ever since. He no longer has problems with being constipated. For the first time ever my little guy isn't in pain when he goes to the bathroom and he's regular. But that's not all that Probio5 has helped him with.....
*Note, he occasionally will have a half of Slim, but he IS consistent with Probio5.

Behavior. His behavior has drastically changed for the BETTER. I cannot stress that enough. Before Probio5, it was rough around here. And that's putting it mildly. My husband had just gotten back from his assignment in Turkey, Ronnie was having problems with transitioning from one parent to two parents. Daily, we were dealing with being screamed at, slamming doors (I'm honestly surprised it didn't fall right off the hinges), throwing things, hitting, kicking, screaming, saying the most awful things, he couldn't focus and was extremely hyper. If you're an Autism parent, you'll understand when I say....they were meltdowns from hell. And as a parent I felt so awful, like I wasn't doing everything I could to help my baby. I hated seeing him like that, he didn't understand why he was behaving that way...it was hard hearing him say "I don't understand why I'm this way Momma." We aren't seeing this behavior anymore, I mean....rarely....when we do it's usually around a full moon and it's not as severe. Thank you Jesus.

Schooling. We homeschool and that journey has been rough. We began kindergarten last year. He couldn't focus, he couldn't sit still long enough to try to focus and the moment something difficult came up...he would lose it. We weren't getting much work done during the day. We ended up taking a break from homeschool for months because of his behavior, honestly....I felt like a failure. But now, we're a couple of  months back into homeschool and he's doing GREAT. He can focus better, he is much more emotionally and mentally prepared for school work and his behavior...AMAZING. When something frustrating does arise, he communicates with me instead of automatically resorting to screaming at me or melting down. Do we still have a few rough spots here and there? You bet, but it's not something that we can't manage now. Even his OT has commented on how much he's changed and how much improvement she's seeing in his sessions.

Sleep. Where do I start? Around the age of 2 sleep became such a huge problem area for Ronnie. It was a battle....a long, hard and exhausting battle. It was taking him usually around 2 hours to go down for a nap and at bedtime. I eventually gave in and did away with nap time, thinking he would fall asleep easier at night. Nope. It was still taking him up to 2 hours (usually right at 2 hours) to go to sleep. PLUS he would wake anywhere from 3-5 times a night. So it wouldn't wake my husband, I eventually just started sleeping in Ronnie's bedroom floor. I was EXHAUSTED. We took him to his pediatrician several times and kept getting the same "oh that's normal for his age, just put him in his bed and he'll go to sleep eventually." They would not hear our concerns. Before you say, "oh why didn't you just find a new doctor?" It wasn't that easy when you lived on a military base and they were short on pediatricians. I expressed my frustration and exhaustion on Facebook and a friend recommended melatonin. What a life saver that has been for Ronnie (and the tired Mom). Ronnie has been taking a total of 6 mg for quite some time now and that helps him fall asleep, but he would still have night time wakings. Now, since being on the Probio5 and thanks to our amazing Young Living Essential Oils, I've been able to back him down to 4 mg. AMAZING! He's not getting up before dawn anymore either. *insert angels singing* He's sleeping anywhere from 7 ish to 8 a.m., sometimes as late as 9 a.m. That is HUGE for him y'all. HUGE.

If you read my blog post that I linked above, you'll see that I said I ran out of Probio5 while waiting on my order....yeah, he ran out of his too. NEVER again will I let that happen. EVER. He was off his Probio5 for 2-3 days and the difference we saw in him during that time was....SO ROUGH. His constipation returned and his behavior....let's just say we weren't able to get ANY school done those days and a lot of tears were shed (between the both of us). It was hard. And it was a great reminder of how much Probio5 has been helping him!

Over the years, I've done and tried so many things to help Ronnie. It's hard watching your child, in a sense, suffer. For us, Plexus has offered a bit of normalcy and relief for Ronnie. For both of us. I hashtag this a lot because it's true, we're a #plexusforlife kind of family. I am so thankful that I took a leap of faith and tried Plexus for myself. I'm even more thankful that I introduced it to Ronnie.

So if you ever wonder why I LOVE Plexus SO MUCH and share about it a lot, THIS is why!
His first time climbing Pinnacle Mountain. My husband and I weren't sure if he would be able to handle climbing to the top. But here he is. He conquered it. He conquered it like he has so many other things in his life. I'm so proud to be his Mom.
I will continue sharing with everyone how much Plexus is changing lives, for the better! I'm so thankful God answered my prayers and helped bring something in our lives that would make a difference!

#plexusforlife

***UPDATE***
As of 10/26/15 Ronnie still CONSISTENTLY takes Probio5. When he's eaten more things we typically don't do, especially with the holiday's rolling around, we bump him from 3 Probio5 to 4. I have also started adding 1 Biocleanse to his chocolate milk (he can't swallow pills) and he drinks that at dinner. He is still seeing AHHHHMAZING benefits and I still get SO emotional when I talk about it, so it's probably a good thing you can't see me typing! ;)

Be sure you check out the updates in my blog entry about how Plexus has helped me! 

So.....Ronnie decided we needed to add a updated photo and so I said of course! I just love him to pieces! He picked this photo to share. He's going as Binx, the black cat from Hocus Pocus! :)


****UPDATE****
 12/2/15 - Ronnie still consistently is on 3 Probio5 and we have now added 2 MegaX. One during the day and one at night. He still consistently takes BioCleanse, but now between breakfast and lunch. But GUESS WHAT??? He can now SWALLOW his meds, no more mixing it in his milk! That's so HUGE for him, so YAY! :)


****UPDATE****
3/7/16 - Ronnie is still consistent with Probio5 (3 right before dinner), 2 Biocleanse between lunch and dinner and 2 MegaX. I switched giving his MegaX 1 in morning and 1 at night to taking both (2) at night. But GUESS WHAT???? As of 2/20/16 Ronnie is officially OFF Melatonin. Yay!! Ronnie had been taking it for about 4 years and was up to 6 mg. I slowly weened him down to 4 mg before MegaX and then slowly weened him completely off. He sleep beautifully....PRAISE GOD! :) 



**These statements are not endorsed or provided by Plexus nor am I medical professional; this is just my personal experience and/or research.

47 comments:

  1. Does your son take the capsule or do you break it and mix it with something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He cannot take the capsule b/c of gag reflex. So for now we break it open and mix in yogurt. He does know he takes it though and knows it's for his tummy! :)

      Delete
  2. May I share this? I know 3 people with Autistic children and would love for them to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is he taking just one a day, or more than that? My daughter has very similar struggles and I would love to help her get off laxatives! Any other plexus products he uses in addition? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I started him out on 1 (gave it to him with his dinner) and did that for about a week. Bumped him up to 2 (both at dinner) and we've consistently been doing that for about 3 months now! I would definitely give it a try for your daughter, it's amazing the difference it's made in Ronnie's life. :)

      Delete
    2. My 11 year old son was dx with encopresis in June. We'd been dealing with it since he was probably 4.

      He takes the biocleanse, probio5, xfactor, mega x and has recently started back on the pink drink. I started him with only biocleanse though to get him going regularly.

      Delete
  4. So he is not dairy free now? You mentioned mixing it in yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use coconut yogurt. He does occasionally have dairy/gluten though without constipation!

      Delete
  5. Awesome! I love hearing Plexus testimonies! All of the wonderful things Plexus is doing for people is the reason that I began sharing these products! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will FOREVER be thankful for what Plexus has done for us both! But especially Ronnie! :)

      Delete
    2. I can imagine! =D Me too! I wasn't even sure if these products would be able to help me, but they have helped me & many of my family & friends in so many ways that its mind blowing! :)

      Delete
    3. Plexus was my last resort, for myself. The thought of putting Ronnie on it never even crossed my mind until I started seeing more posts about others putting their kids on the Probio5. And then when he was having the issues with his constipation, that's when his doctor and I discussed the Probio5. She looked at it and gave us the green light and it's been such a difference ever since. I was really skeptical when I first started taking them and thought there's no way this is going to help with my issues b/c so many other things (prescription/all natural) hadn't. I'm so glad I was WRONG!! :) If you haven't already, check my blog entry out about me. It's linked in Ronnie's blog entry! :)

      Delete
    4. I'm so happy you found it helped him! I haven't read your testimony, yet, but I look forward to reading it! :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your this so much!! I shared your blog on my blog lol.... I just love hearing stories like this. Specialy when we are talking about our kids health. No one wants to feel like their children are suffering. I am so glad this has helped you and your son!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing on your blog! We are SO thankful for Plexus and what it has done for our kiddo!!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for this! My 10 yo daughter has had bad abdominal pain for a month now. She seems to be regular in her bm's but doctor is convinced she's constipated. Waiting on X-ray and blood work results, but I've been contemplating Probio5 and bio cleanse for myself and was wondering if I could try it on her. You have given me hope that it may work for her like your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot sing its praises enough! Definitely talk to her doctor about it! It's been such a blessing for our family, especially for Ronnie! Prayers for your daughter!

      Delete
  9. My 3 year old son has been battling constipation for almost a year. It started out as an issue with constipation and now it's a conscious effort to not go because he doesn't want to. Do you think probio5 and biocleanse would work for him? I've been using the products for 6 weeks and love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 3 year old son has been battling constipation for almost a year. It started out as an issue with constipation and now it's a conscious effort to not go because he doesn't want to. Do you think probio5 and biocleanse would work for him? I've been using the products for 6 weeks and love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, so sorry just saw this comment! I feel like it could work for anyone battling constipation! Definitely talk with his pediatrician, it's always a plus when you have a doctor backing the product! It's been a LIFESAVER for my little guy! :)

      Delete
  11. Hi!
    My son is almost 5, diagnosed with autism last year. He thankfully doesn't have tummy trouble, but we are toilet training (yay, marathon!). My friend generously gave us Probio5 to try with him recently. Any creative ideas on what to add it to? He doesn't eat yogurt, or drink juice. It (naturally) curdles his drink of choice, chocolate milk. I'm currently able to sprinkle it on some of his foods as long as it's not noticeable once it's on there, but our options are limited. Also, I've heard of some people taking short breaks from probiotic supplements (say, once a week, or every other week) to ensure their effectiveness. Do you still keep your son on it every day, all year around? And if so, do you stick to adding extra when holidays, etc. come up? REALLY appreciate your blog about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Most people will say not to add it to applesauce, but due to limited diet, there were many times we had to. He knew it was in there, but couldn't taste it! Ronnie is now able to finally swallow his, so that makes it so much easier. We've not taken any breaks from Probio5! The one time I ran out because I didn't order in time, he went without for a few days and it was right back to constipation. His pediatrician said due to his chronic history of constipation, he'll likely need to remain on it forever. Around the holidays I do up him to 4 if he has anything that isn't really in his normal diet. So, Halloween candy or sweet treats etc. when he gets extra goodies. And then back him back down to 3. Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  12. My daughter has been on melatonin nightly since she was 18 months old (she's now 7). She takes 5mg, sometimes 10 if she just can't get to sleep. Do you think it was just the probio5 that helped with sleep? She's been taking the slim on school days but we haven't noticed a difference with sleep.... She doesn't have any (noticeable) tummy issues, so I haven't wanted to do the full tri-plex yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Probio5 helped a lot, but once we added MegaX I was FINALLY able to take him completely off Melatonin. I honestly thought that day would never come! :)

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing. I have a 17 year old autistic son that also has gastrointestinal issues. His GI doctor started him on Miralax, but I had no idea about the long term effects of keeping him on Miralax. I did use the Probio5 and it did help me. So far the Miralax does help him, but I think I will order the Probio5 for him. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the doctor didn't inform us that it's not meant for long term use. Nothing has ever offered him constipation relief like the Probio5!! Definitely worth the try! :)

      Delete
  14. Hi there! Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to trying this on my autistic 3 year old little dude and my chronically constipated 4 year old non-autistic little lady! Question.... why do you occasionally give him half a slim drink? What results do you see from that? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for your kiddos too! He likes the Slim so occasionally he'll have one! :)

      Delete
  15. I am thinking of starting plexus for my autistic son and my younger son who is starting to show similar signs. How long did it take for you to start noticing the behavior changes in your child.? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. It took some time! Just remember, every person (whether child or adult) is different and while one person might start seeing changes within weeks, the next might not see any for months. I would give the products some time, at least a few months. It depends a lot on the level of gut damage as well - which most children on the spectrum seem to have terrible gut issues. Good luck with your boys, I pray it works out for them too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How did you know when to move him from 1 to 2 probiotics and 2 to 3 probiotics? My son is not on the spectrum but does have allergies and asthma and has been on antibiotics and steroids so I think he has a pretty messed up gut. He is also allergic to soy so I know that he needs much help and to gut area. He's been on one ProBio5 for about a month and I thought I should bump him up. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did you ever give BioCleanse added to food? If so, any suggestions on what it is tolerable in? I have a chronically constipated 3 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really need help with my 4yr old son. And his doctor keeps saying nothing is needed just wait until he turns 5 he will slow down but I don't see how that can be when its only getting worse. He started a new school today and was placed in timeout 5 times before 11am. I had to pick him up from school. Calling off from work now seems to be a regular event. Not only can the school control him neither can I. He sleeps very little without the help of something. What should I do. I feel like a failure as a mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I'm just now seeing this comment. I do hope you see my reply. First, I would like to say you are NOT a failure. I've too have felt this way about myself, but it just isn't true. My first piece of advice is perhaps finding a new pediatrician for a second opinion. If this is something that you feel like you can't do, I would be persistent with his current pediatrician and perhaps remind him that he works for you. Doctors forget that we parents are with our children more than they are while sitting in a room at an appointment. We see things they do not, we experience life with our children that they do not. I'm so sorry that you and your baby are struggling, I know it's hard. I pray that you are able to find the answers that you seek. Please feel free to email me (use the contact me tab), even if you just need to vent! Hugs Momma!

      Delete
  20. Thank you for sharing your success! I have been weening my son off miralax and we are trying biocleanse for the first time. I started him on 1 pill in juice but I have to keep shaking it so it doesn't settle at the bottom. Now we are up to 2 pills and he's starting to taste it so I'm a bit worried he won't take it. We also tried it ina yogurt smoothie & he said it tasted sour �� Any suggestions for how to hide it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime we've had to try and hide medication, we've tried to do so in something like applesauce or yogurt. You might try that!

      Delete
  21. Hi there... your story sounds so familiar... we are dealing with the same thing with our 7-year-old. I'm taking Plexus myself and have been wanting to try him on it for awhile now... wasn't sure if we could give it to children until I saw this post. My only concern with this is that he is taking 4 different medications for ADHD and bipolar. Do you have any experience with this? He is seeing his pediatrician on Monday and I have everything for her to review - his meds, the plexus labels... I'm hoping she too gives us the green light.

    Your story gives me hope. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      I actually have Bipolar Disorder myself. I came off medication because I was tired of the side effects and it made me feel worse than better. After being on the probio5 for a while, I started to feel human again. Mentally, I feel the best I have in such a long time. Definitely address this with the pediatrician, which you sound prepared for! If you haven't already, research gut health and how it can have an impact on our mental health. Honestly, everyone could benefit from being on a probiotic. I'll be keeping you in my prayers!

      Delete
  22. Hi there, I happen to read your website because of my friend who forwarded me saying that your son's issues were exactly like my daughter's. I have a 6 year daughter who is autistic. She was actually damaged by DTAP vaccine unfortunately at 17th months. So our journey began from then. I really cried after reading your blog since i know how much my daughter is in pain with this constipation issues. I tried everything in the market including oxypowder. After reading your blog i ordered the probiotics that you had mentioned with a hope it will help her. I am dealing with lots of issues with her right now. Just finished her OAT test result which shows high Tartaric (yeast i believe) and Quinolinic / 5-HIAA Ratio. Also i am suspecting she might have hypoglycemia since her body jerks when her stomach becomes empty. Her pediatrician is not believing that. Probably i am planning to do home test and prove her. Like your son she pees every 1 hour so i need to change atleast 5 to 6 night diapers. If i sleep then she becomes wet and wakes up completely. Her sleep is very less. She hardly sleeps. Also she is still in liquid limited diet. She don't know how to chew or swallow solid food. Trying my best to help her as much as i could by taking her to feeding therapy, ABA etc still i feel i don't know what is the missing piece. Her pediatrician theory is constipation is the one that causes excess peeing in her and that wakes her. So after reading your blog, i am thinking probably she is right. What other products do u recommend. Any suggestion will be of great help. pls email me when you have time. Thanks again for education and trying to help parents like us. God bless you. my email: gpj1975@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have you tried the new VitalBiome and XFactor Plus? If you have, what have your results been?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't. If I'm not mistaking VitalBiome contains Soy, which isn't the best for you. I try to avoid it. :/

      Delete
  24. Thank you for writing this! I am going to try this product for myself and my family but I was specifically looking for a testimony on behavior issues in children and Plexus. Our 7 year has T1D and Celiac's Disease but the problem that we don't have under control is his Opposition Defiant Disorder symptoms. I homeschool and it's quite troubling to deal with especially with his health issues. I was very encouraged to read your testimony! I can't wait to try it! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for sharing your story! We have a special needs 20 yr old, and there are many people I am trying to help in similar situations via Plexus- it has truly become a ministry for me. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! What kind of improvements have you seen? :)

      Delete